Bear Claws – flaky breakfast pastries – have a luscious almond filling wrapped in delicate layers of puff pastry.
- Thaw puff pastry squares, covered with parchment paper, at room temperature for 15 -30 minutes.
- Dock puff pastry; water wash edges of squares.
- Beat egg white until foamy using whip attachment in mixing bowl; add powdered sugar and almond paste and beat until smooth.
- Spread approximately 1 Tbsp (0.5 oz) almond paste mixture along center of puff square.
- Fold top edge over filling to meet bottom edge; press firmly to seal edges.
- Cut four 1/2 inch slits horizontally along the sealed edge; stretch and bend dough slightly to separate claws.
- Place on parchment lined full sheet pans and bake as directed.
Convection Oven* 350°F 17-22 minutes
Standard Oven 400°F 20-25 minutes
*Rotate pans baked in convection oven one-half turn (180°) after 9 minutes of baking.
- Place icing in a microwave safe bowl and heat in 10 second increments; stir until smooth.
- String claws with icing and sprinkle with almonds; serve.