Capitalize on the popularity of grab ‘n go by offering your own to-go items. Plus, by using bulk and back-of-house products for grab ‘n go offerings—alongside individually wrapped items—you can get more usage occasions out of the same products and reduce waste!
Here are 3 grab ‘n go categories to explore in your offerings:
- YoGo Coolers—add a lid and a straw to turn a popular drink into an on-trend to-go item. Each cooler credits as 1 cup fluid milk and 1 meat/meat alternate when offered at school! Bonus: refreshing coffee drinks made with yogurt are especially good for filling up active, growing kids because of their high protein content!
- Parfaits—these yogurt items are easy and delicious and Yoplait® ParfaitPro® is now made without gelatin! Yogurt parfaits are an easy-to-eat solution with maximum portability. Consider using clear packaging that showcases the parfait’s ingredients and will stand out whether it is on the shelf or walking out of the cafeteria in your student’s hands!
- Smoothie bowls and overnight oats—transform smoothie bowls or overnight oats into to-go items by putting them in clamshell containers.
- Sauces—package in small to-go cups for sauces for veggies, sandwich dippers, or dressings for salads.
- Biscuit bowls—put various lunch items in a bowl, add a biscuit and you’ve got an on-trend biscuit bowl to-go!
- Mix & match—offer a few basic to-go sandwiches with different options for spreads, dips and sauces. A simple and delicious item for students to grab and enjoy!
Individually Wrapped Items
Any way you slice it, grab ‘n go offerings are a great way to delight your students, increase engagement and keep everyone happy and well-fueled all day. For more great K-12 foodservice ideas, check out Good Times Café, a fast-casual concept designed to help operators like you bring excitement to the cafeteria.
²The NPD Group/Supply Track®, RTE Cereal in K-12 channel, 12 months ending July 2018, in $, cases & pounds
³The NPD Group/SupplyTrack®, RTE Cereal in K-12 channel, 12 months ending July 2018, in $, cases & pounds, #1 25% Less Sugar Cinnamon Toast Crunch™, #2 25% Less Sugar Cocoa Puffs™, #3 Lucky Charms™