According to NPD Group, although foodservice spending has been increasing —up two percent in the year ending May 2018 —foodservice visits were flat during that same period compared to one year ago.1 This trend is largely championed by millennials, who are searching for quick and easy takeout meals, and the increased competition from “grocerants” means restaurants need to think about ways to stay relevant.
Bring retail carry out to your operation
One way to cater to this growing demand is by offering readymade, chef-inspired retail takeout options. Create a menu that’s both delicious and economical–large batch recipes that can be either refrigerated or frozen in pre-portioned containers for customer pickup and delivery.
A few tips to get started
- Start small and scale up – use foolproof recipes and stay true to your restaurant’s roots. PillsburyTM Biscuit applications are a great place to start building your carryout menu. Offer biscuit sandwiches, filled biscuits, biscuit desserts and more.
- Store meals in ready-to-serve takeout containers, making it simple to heat and serve or dish up as is. Bonus points for customizing your to-go packaging with labels or other aesthetically-pleasing elements. Presentation is key, even in the take-out space!
- Ensure meal packaging is the proper choice for the dish being served to avoid any leaks or spillage in transit and so that items retain desired temperature, if applicable.
- Add meal preparation instructions for customer ease-of-use, download this kit for a free template.
- Create and promote your carry out menu through multiple channels such as social media, in-person signage, and throughout your community!
Try your first carry out this Thanksgiving
Even the most faithful customers dine-in on Thanksgiving, yet many dread the work (and chaos) that goes into cooking a full Thanksgiving feast. Use this as an opportunity to try a soft-launch of your retail carry out business.
Looking for ways to get started? Download our free carry out kit which includes a menu insert, social assets, and customizable flyer.